CARH BROADCAST E-MAIL – Annual Meeting Update
April 28, 2023
Events are quickly moving this year and we at CARH are busy planning the 2023 Annual Meeting & Legislative Conference, to be held on Monday, June 26 -Wednesday, June 28, at The Ritz-Carlton, Pentagon City, in Arlington, Virginia, conveniently located just across the Potomac River from Washington, DC and less than five miles from Reagan National Airport.
As you know, CARH’s national conferences are regarded as among the premier affordable rural housing meetings in the country. You can expect an exciting and engaging program with leading industry experts and government officials, who will deliver the latest information on regulations, pending legislation, and trends that impact your business.
The full meeting agenda will be finalized in the next several weeks. However, attendees will not want to miss a General Session entitled: Maturing Mortgages Stakeholders Input: Successfully Decoupling Section 521 Rental Assistance from the Section 515 Program. Rural Development (RD) officials will be asking for stakeholders’ input into policies and procedures that should be implemented as the agency and Congress move to allow Rental Assistance after mortgage maturity, thus promoting another resource for preserving the rural multifamily portfolio. In the Fiscal Year (FY) 2023 Appropriations bill, Congress included a requirement that the agency hold three listening sessions where input from stakeholders would be received on best practices that should be included in any final decoupling initiative. The session at CARH’s June meeting will be one of the three sessions. Our meeting will be the last opportunity for stakeholders to interact with agency officials before RD reports to Congress this summer on findings and recommendations. The session will be held on Tuesday, June 27 from 9:30-10:45 a.m. Any owner whose mortgage is due to mature will definitely want to attend the meeting and this session!
During the two and a half day meeting, attendees will also hear from CARH’s legislative and policy experts, government officials, and industry stakeholders about key topics, legislation, regulations, and policies affecting the affordable rural housing industry. Sessions will cover the following topics:
- Funding for affordable housing programs, particularly rural multifamily housing for FY 2024
- Long-term preservation solutions for the rural housing portfolio
- Housing Credit and bond program updates
- RD’s pilot inspection program
- Latest tax credit and financing option developments
- And much more!
The CARH standing committees will convene on Monday, June 26. This is your opportunity to promote the issues you’d like CARH to advance through its legislative work, or benefits and services you would like CARH to offer the membership. There will also be time to meet and greet the loyal vendors and service providers who offer goods and services to the industry, often at a discount.
CARH is also planning two receptions to meet and network with industry colleagues. We are very excited to announce that Monday’s reception will be held at The Phillips Collection in Washington, DC. The Phillips Collection is America’s first modern art museum and has been collecting modern and contemporary art for over 100 years. The museum was initially established on the second floor of the family home in the Dupont Circle neighborhood as the Phillips Memorial Gallery in 1918 by art collector and philanthropist Duncan Phillips and his mother, after the untimely passing of his father and brother. In 1921, he married painter Marjorie Acker Phillips and that year The Phillips Collection opened to the public. In 1930, Duncan Phillips moved the family to a new home and turned the entire Dupont Circle residence into an art museum. In addition to presenting selections from the over 5,000 pieces making up the permanent collection and special exhibition, The Phillips Collection also offers award-winning education and community engagement programs for audiences of all ages and backgrounds.
On Tuesday, June 28th, the networking reception will be held at The Ritz-Carlton, Pentagon City and will feature an auction of five sought-after items! Proceeds from the auction will benefit the CARH and the CARH Scholarship Foundation. The results of the CARH Top 20 of 23 survey will be revealed as well. The Top 20 of 23 (formerly known as CARH 2020) ranks the top rural housing owners, developers, and managers in the industry. If you have not already completed this year’s survey, click here and submit your response no later than Friday, May 19, 2023.
On Wednesday, June 28th, the Scholarship Foundation will hold a breakfast honoring the 2023 scholarship recipients. Everyone should make plans to attend this exciting, moving, and unforgettable event!
- Register Now – CARH is pleased to offer “early bird” meeting registration at a preferred rate until May 23, 2022! Meeting registration and pricing information are available by clicking here or at carh.org. Reserve your place today by completing and submitting the meeting registration form.
- Reserve Your Room Now – CARH is also pleased to provide meeting attendees with a preferred rate at The Ritz-Carlton, Pentagon City until Friday, June 2, 2023. For reservations, please call hotel’s reservation desk at 800-422-2410 and reference the “Council for Affordable and Rural Housing” room block, or reserve online by clicking here. The discounted room rate is $299 per night for single/double occupancy guestroom.
- Become a Meeting Sponsor Now – Finally, we encourage you to become a meeting sponsor and help support this key industry event! Please click here for the CARH Sponsorship Form or visit carh.org. The sooner you send in your Sponsorship Form, the earlier your logo will be part of CARH’s pre-meeting materials!
As mentioned above, the detailed meeting brochure will be available in the coming weeks. However, for travel and planning purposes, the meeting will begin at approximately 8:30 a.m. on Monday, June 26th and end by approximately 1:00 p.m. on Wednesday, June 28th. Register now to take advantage of the reduced meeting rate!
Please contact the CARH national office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 703-837-9001 if you have questions. We look forward to seeing you in June!